TED - The secrets of
learning a new language
ACTIVATE CC ON THE VIDEO
APÓS A PRIMEIRA TENTATIVA
SÓ VALE VER A RESPOSTA AO LADO DEPOIS, TÁ!
Read the transcript, watch the video and choose the correct answer.
1. How often does Lýdia learn a new language
a.) She learns a new language every year.
b.) She learns a new language every two years.
c.) She learns a new language every three years.
2. How many languages has she learned?
a.) She has learned 28 languages.
b.) She has learned 8 languages.
3. What are polyglots?
a.) Polyglots are large libraries.
b.) Polyglots are people who speak a lot of languages.
4. What question do people ask her?
a.) What is your favorite language?
b.) How do you learn languages so quickly?
5. What did Lýdia want to find out?
a.) She wanted to find out how polyglots learn languages so much faster than other people.
b.) She wanted to find out the best way to learn a language.
6. How does her friend Benny learn a new language? What's his method?
a.) He reads a lot of travel phrasebooks.
b.) He talks with people and makes mistakes and learns from their feedback.
7. Where does Benny find people to have conversations with?
a.) local libraries, community colleges, and cafes
8. True or False? Lýdia says that all of the polyglots she spoke to have the same approach to learning a new language.
9. What did Lýdia realize that was really important?
a.) Polyglots follow time-tested methods to quickly learn new languages.
b.) The one thing polyglots have in common is that that they find ways to enjoy the language-learning process.
10. Does Lýdia always use the same method when she learns a new language?
a.) No. For example she started learning Spanish re-reading Harry Potter and German by watching "Friends."
b.) Yes. AND, she has developed a system that anyone can use -- a system that's available to everyone.
11. What is self-talk?
a.) Looking into a mirror and having a conversation with yourself.
b.) Talking out loud to yourself, for example describing your plans for the weekend, or a picture from your phone.
12. Lýdia says it's important to "revise vocabulary" -- what does that mean?
a.) To change words into different parts of speech.
b.) To review and repeat new vocabulary words so you remember them.
13. What is the best "system" for learning a new language?
a.) Incorporate enjoyable language learning activities into your daily routine.
b.) Sit down with a cup of tea and a calendar and create an 8-week plan for studying as much as possible.
14. According to Lýdia, if you learn in small chunks every day in a way that you enjoy, ____________.
a.) you'll definitely make visible progress within two months.
b.) you'll be able to learn a new language within two months.